Quiz questions (ME 2024 Test 1 Review)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
The book described three main functions in a product development effort: marketing, design, and manufacturing. In this context, design is defined as:
Design is the product development function that defines the physical form of the product to meet customer needs.
Which one of the components listed below IS NOT one of the five specific dimensions or components that are commonly used to assess the performance of a product development effort? (Product quality, access to rapid prototyping, development time, development capability)
Access to rapid prototyping
How long did the book imply that most product development efforts last?
Which one of the following IS NOT among the characteristics that make the product development challenging? (Trade-offs, time pressure, team diversity, economics)
The book lists “Economics” as one of the challenges of project development. Select the correct word that completes the description of this challenge: Economics: Developing, __________, and marketing a new product requires a large investment.
The book lists some characteristics leading to dysfunctional teams. One of them is the lack of empowerment of the team. Select the correct word that describes this particular characteristic.
“Phase zero” of the generic product development procedure involves:
The Concept Development Process is:
A Market Pull development process is based on:
Needs in the market that are satisfied by available technologies
As an experienced design engineer with expertise and a great interest in high-strength aluminum, what type of organizational structure would you prefer to work under?
What organizational structure did Tyco select and why?
Which of the following are steps in the Product Planning Process (select all that apply)?
- Identify opportunities
- Allocate resources and plan timing
- Evaluate and prioritize projects
- Complete pre-project planning
Identify information found in a Mission Statement (select all that apply):
- Brief description of the product
- The target market for the product
- Key business goals
Which of the following are competitive strategies a company may use? (Select all that apply.)
- Cost leadership
- Technology leadership
Tasks in a project plan have relationships to other tasks in the plan. What are the typical task relationships (choose all that apply).
- Coupled tasks
- Sequential tasks
- Parallel tasks
Exhibit 16-3 is an example of:
The design structure matrix
The critical path of a project is:
The longest sequence of tasks whose combined duration define the minimum possible completion time for the project.
The critical path of a project is an important concept. A critical task is a task that:
if delayed, will delay project completion
There are several recommended methods to accelerate projects (choose all that apply):
- Manage the project scope. Freeze the design and leave incremental improvements for the next generation of the product
- Start the project early and maintain a sense of urgency
- Facilitate the exchange of essential information. For small teams putting the team members in the same physical area helps.
The steps of identifying customer needs include:
- Gather raw data from customers
- Organize the needs into a hierarchy
- Establish the relative importance of the needs
- Reflect on the results and the process
Lead users are a good source of customer needs because:
- they are a good source of customer needs because they experience new needs months or years ahead of most customers
- they stand to benefit significantly from new product innovations
- they can generally articulate their needs better than general users
When writing need statements:
- be as specific as possible
- describe attributes of the product
- avoid terms like "should" and "must"
- give precise measurable detail of what the product has to do
- do not tell the product development team how to address the customer needs
- consist of a set of metrics and values
T/F: Product specifications may be established only once for technology intensive products.
Select the steps included in the process of establishing target specifications.
- Prepare a list of metrics
- Collect competitive bench-marking information
- Set ideal and marginal acceptable target values
Why is important for a development team to establish a set of specifications?
To establish the team's goals and aspirations so they can identify the constraints
What is the difference between target specifications and final specifications?
Final specs include assessment of actual technological constraints
Some overall component specifications can be established through:
____, ____, ____, and ____ are the four types of intellectual properties listed in the textbook.
Patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret
Because ____ patents must be limited to ornamental design, for most engineered goods, ____ patents are therefore pursued.
Patents can be awarded for a new process, machine, article of manufacture, composition of matter, or an improvement of one of these. What THREE requirements are put on these types of inventions in order for them to patentable?
Novel, useful, nonobvious
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview