The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- -Foreshadowing: The use of hints or clues to suggest what will happen later in the story.
- -Conflict: The essence of fiction. It creates plot.
- -Rising Action: A series of events that builds from the conflict. It begins with the inciting force and ends with the climax.
- -Climax: The climax is the result of the crisis. It is the high point of the story for the reader.
- -Resolution: Rounds out and concludes the action.
- -Setting: Where it takes place.
- -Plot: What the story is about.
- -Simile: A figure of speech in which a comparison is expressed by using of a word or phrase such as: like, as, than, seems
- -Metaphore: Comparison without using like or as.
- -Personification: A type of metaphor in which uses human qualities.
- -Hyperbole: Used to exaggerate.
Greek Gods and Powers:
- Zeus: Captain of the Gods.
- Poseidon: God of the Sea.
- Hera: Queen of the Gods/Goddess of Marriage.
- Demeter: Goddess of the Harvest.
- Ares: God of War.
- Athena: Goddess of Education/Science/Virginity.
- Apollo: God of the Sun.
- Artemis: Goddess of the Hunt/the Moon.
- Aphrodite: Goddess of Love/Beauty.
- Hermes: Messenger God.
- Hades: God of the Underworld.
Characters in Shabanu:
- Shabanu: The eleven-year-old desert girl Shabanu narrates the story.
- Phulan: Shabanu's older sister.
- Mama: Shabanu and Phulan's mother.
- Dadi: Shabanu and Phulan's father.
- Grandfather: Dadi's father and Shabanu's grandfather, who lives with them in the desert.
- Sharma: Mama's dearest and liveliest cousin.
- Fatima: Sharma's daughter Fatima lives with her in the desert.
- Auntie: Dadi's sister-in-law; lives with Shabanu's family in the desert.
- Hamir: Hamir is Phulan's fiancé
- Murad: Hamir's younger brother and Shabanu's betrothed.
- Bibi Lal: Hamir and Murad's mother.
- Nazir Mohammad: Used to own the land which Bibi Lal's family farms.
- Guluband: The family's most highly prized camel.
- Mithoo: The camel Shabanu helps birth.
- Sher Dil: The puppy Dadi buys to Shabanu.
- Xhush Dil: Another of the family's trusted cammels.