Convection Currents and the mantle (chapter 1, section 2)
- heat transfer- the movement of energy from a warmer object to a cooler object.
- There are three types of heat transfer: radiation, conduction, and convection.radiation- transfer of energy through empty space.
- conduction- heat transfer by contanct of particles of matter.
- convection- heat transfer by involving movements of fluids, liquids and gases.
- density- measure of how much mass there is in a volume of a substance.
- The heating and cooling of the fluid, changes in the fluid's density, and the force of gravity combined to set convection currents in motion.