HSCI 003, Anatomical Descriptive Nomenclature
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Latin: Dorsum
- Definition: Pertaining to the back
- Antonym: Ventral
- Latin: Ventralis
- Definition: Nearest to the belly or undersurface.
- Antonym: Dorsal
- Latin: Superus
- Definition: Nearest to the vertex of the head.
- Antonym: Inferior
- Latin: Inferus
- Definition: Situated below or downward.
- Antonym: Superior
- Latin: Anterior
- Definition: Front of the body.
- Synonym: Ventral
- Latin: Posterus
- Defintion: Near the back of the body.
- Synonym: Dorsal
- Greek: Kephale
- Definition: In the direction toward the head.
- Synonym: Superior.
- Latin: Caudalis
- Definition: Pertaining to the tail - Caudad
- Antonym: Cephalic
- Latin: Medialis
- Definition: Near to the median or midsagittal plane - Median
- Latin: Lateralis
- Definition: Right or left to the midsagittal plane.
- Latin: Proximus
- Definition: Nearest to the trunk or point of origin.
- Latin: Distalis
- Definition: Away from the center of the body or point of origin.
- Latin: Inter
- Definition: Towards the inside - Rotation.
- Latin: Exterus
- Definition: Outside - Rotation.
- Latin: Sagitta - an arrow
- Definition: In an antiposterior (AP) direction.
- Latin: Coronalis
- Definition: Relating to the coronal plane - Frontal.
- Latin: Transversus
- Definition: Crosswise, lying across the long axis of body or part.
- Latin: Ad-duco
- Definition: Draw toward the median plane.
- Latin: Abducere
- Definition: Move away from the median plane.
- Latin: Flecto
- Definition: Bending a joint so as to approximate the parts, bending the spine so the concavity faces forward - Dorsi/Plantar.
- Latin: Extension
- Definition: Bringing the distal portion of a joint in continuity with the long axis of the proximal portion.
- Latin: Pronatus
- Definition: To place facing forward.
- Antonym: Supinate
- Latin: Pronus
- Definition: To lie on the stomach, face down.
- Latin: Recubo
- Definition: Leaning, reclining, lying down (a resting position).
- Latin: Supino
- Definition: To place facing upward.
- Antonym: Pronate
- Latin: Supino
- Definition: To lie on the back, facing upward.
- Latin: Bow-legged
- Definition: Angular deformity where the bone distal to the joint deviates medially from the longitudinal axis of the proximal bone.
- Latin: Knock-kneed
- Deifnition: Angular deformity where the bone distal to the joint deviates laterally from the longitudinal axis of the proximal bone.
- Latin: Vola
- Definition: Sole of foot, palm of the hand.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview