The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are viruses (=poison) evolve?
- Simplest biological entities
- in some ways are not considered living matter (ie no metabolism) no fossil record to tell us when they evolvedcan have complex biological structurtes
What are primitive bacterial cells?
- have no nucleus
- Can exist in all enviroments, no o2, high pressure, freezing, acid lakes, high temperatures.
What is an example of Modern cells?
- Eukaryotes. ie Good nucleus.
- modern cells- first appreciated in fossil record 2.5 billion years after bacterial cells. Differentiated from bacterial cells because they have organelles and a true membrane bound nucleus. So modern cells and their progenitors are called Eukaryotes.
What are organelles?
Specialized structures in cells that have a specific funtion.
What are examples of organelles? can you name them all?
- Plasma membrane
- rough endoplasmic reticulum
- smooth " "
- golgi apparatus
- cell membrane
- Peroxisomes and lysosomes
- Flagella and cilia
What is the endomembrane system?
- The endomembrane system are these organelles grouped together:
- plasma membrane
- Smooth and rough ER
- golgi apparatus
- the membranes of the nuclear envelope or cell membrane
When group together what are peroxisomes and lysosomes called?
What are flagella and cilia for?
What is mitochondria for?
What are microtubule and filaments for
- another system of sacs that don't have ribosomes.
- inside makes specialized cells. eg fats, steroids or sterols?(can't read prof handwriting.) and phospholipids
network of interconnected membrane sacs studded with ribosomes that make proteins and secretory proteins. Inside RER membranes constructed
- genetic core
- Info containing DNA
Packaging and shipment plant
important in cell division
Detoxify alcohol and other harmful compounds
What makes up the Cytoskeleton?
- intermediate filament
- They hold everything and help keep cell shape.
site of protein synthesis in cytoplasm
selectively permeable to molecules and ions.
power houses of cell where energy is captured in form of ATP.