Civics And Economics
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
National Security Council (NSC)
The White House National Security Council (NSC) in the United States is the principal forum used by the President for considering national security and foreign policy matters with his senior national security advisors and Cabinet officials and is part of the Executive Office of the President of the United States.
Council Of Economic Advisors (CEA)
The Council of Economic Advisers (CEA) is a group of three respected economists who advise the President of the United States on economic policy. It is a part of the Executive Office of the President of the United States, and provides much of the economic policy of the White House. The council prepares the annual Economic Report of the President.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency.
Independent agencies of the United States federal government are those agencies that exist outside of the federal executive departments (those headed by a Cabinet secretary). However, most independent agencies are part of the executive branch, with only a few being part of the legislative or judicial branches.
- a legal entity created by a government to exercise some of the
- powers of the government. Some government corporations may resemble a
- not-for-profit corporation as they have no need or goal of satisfying
- the shareholders with return on their investment through price increase
- or dividends, while other government corporations are established as
- for-profit businesses, for example Australia Post.
people appointed to political positions in the United States Government, whose party was different from that of the President who made the appointment
Civil Service Worker
- A branch of governmental service in which individuals are employed
- on the basis of professional merit as proven by competitive
- examinations.The body of employees in any government agency other than the military
- (also known as a patronage system) is an informal practice where a
- political party, after winning an election, gives government jobs to
- its voters as a reward for working toward victory, and as an incentive
- to keep working for the party—as opposed to a system of awarding
- offices on the basis of some measure of merit independent of political activity.
- The merit system is the process of promoting and hiring
- government employees based on their ability to perform a job, rather
- than on their political connections. It is the opposite of the Spoils system.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview