Ch 11 Review
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
4 ways to open Task Mngr (Mgr)
- Rt. click blank area (Taskbar), select Task Mgr
If progrm unresponsive, how to stop it?
Tsk mgr ⇾ Select program ⇾ End Task
To view list of users logged on...
Tsk mgr ⇾ Users tab
Program filename & ext for System Configuration?
Win Vista tool used to temp disable startup progrm not avail in Win 7 or XP?
To see history of problems since Win install, you use this Win7 tool....
Windows Reliability Monitor
Non-essential service slowing ↓ startup & you want to permanently disable it?
uninstall a program, remove from startup folder, use Services console to disable service
Path to Ntuser.dat file in Win7?
What key loads systm in Safe Mode @ startup?
How's Ntuser.dat used?
Holds current logged-on user's preferences & settings
3 indicators Tsk Mng uses to find which program has a memory leak?
- Memory Private Working Set
- Handles & Threads
This registry key contains Device Mngr (which contains info about hardware)
Disabling Win indexer to improve perfromance will have what effect on Win search?
It will still work, just not as fast
This Win 7/ Vista tool gives quick report:overall performance of systm as a single expressed#/
Windows Experience Index
Which 3 Win7 tools are contained also in Vista Reliability & Performance Monitor?
Resource, Reliability, & Performance Monitors
Startup type of service that shouldn't load @ startup, but l8r afterwards?
Tool used to set services startup type?
Services console (services.msc) Rt. click service →Properties →Select service type → click Ok
Which log in Event Viewer if you suspect problm w/hardware?
3 snap-ins found in Computer Mangmt console used to manage hardware & track their problems?
Device Mngr, Event Viewer, & Win7 Performance Monitor
Log used to find attempted logins to a computer are found here...
Go to Event viewer → Security Log
File ext for a console managed by Microsoft Mngmt Console?
Program filename & file ext. for Microsoft Mngmt Console?
After system loaded in Safe Mode, performance improves, which means......
A reduction of startup programs (to just the essentials) must be done because there are too many!
Purpose of Wow6432Node subkey in Win registry?
- Subkey used in 64-bit OS
- anytime 32-bit programs are installed in a 64-bit system
Mode listed in boot options menu, allows user set benchmark time to start Windows (only bare min programs launched)
When using MSconfig to stop startup services Inculding: MicroSft service, which service looses restore points if stopped?
Volume Shadow Copy service
List and describe ea tab in Tsk Mngr
- Apps-shows status active apps run/not respondng
- Processes- lists systm servics & other procsses assoc. w/apps, w/how much CPU time & memory process uses, shows processes (all users)
- Services- lists servcs currently installed w/status of ea
- Performance- contains graphs look @ how systm resources are used
- CPU Usage graph-indicates % of time CPU currently being used
- CPU Usage History graph- shows CPU Usage graph results, but over time
- Memory graph- shows amount of memory currently used
- Physical Memory Usage History graph- how much memory recently been used
- Networking- monitor netwrk activty& bandwidth used
- Users- Shows all users currently logged on, & you can log them off (once verifying no apps are running in that user's acct)
If performance doesn't improve when Windows is loaded in Safe Mode, what can you conclude?
problem is w/hardware /Win settings
Win indexer is.....?
responsble for maintaining index of files & folders on hard drive to speed up Win searches; low priority, only works when senses hard drive not being accssed by servc w/higher priority
Win installed software by default go into these 2 folders.
- C:\Program Files
- C:\Program Files (x86)
Necessry progrm using too much systm resources & bogging ↓other apps, ? can fix the problem.
Use MSconfig to disable service & if it works, replace servc file/progrm w/fresh copy from Win setup DVD.
? 1st before deleting progrm folder containing software running in the background?
use Task Mngr → End all procss related to software & use Services console to stop servcs related to software
Name of window used to uninstall software in Win7 /Vista?
Programs & Features
Folder that Task Scheduler keeps scheduled tasks?
List & describe 3 main types of events logged by Event Viewer
- Error- most important, indicates somethng went wrong w/system EX: scheduled maint. backup failed
- Warning- indicates failure might occur in future
- Information- setup log-contains events recorded when apps installed
- security log- contain un/successful & logs
- application log- events recorded by an app
- forwarded events log- events recorded on other computrs & sent to this computr
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview