Crim Pro 1B
The flashcards below were created by user
3 KEY QUESTIONS
1) Warrant supported by _____ and _____?
2) If not, did police rely on defective warrant in _____?
3) Was warrant _____ by the police?
1) Warrant supported by PROBABLE CAUSE and PARTICULARITY
2) If not, did police rely on the defective warrant in GOOD FAITH?
3) Was the warrant PROPERLY EXECUTED by the police?
Warrant supported by PROBABLE CAUSE?
2) Can be supported by hearsay?
3) Can be supported by informant's tips?
1) RULE: Proof of a FAIR PROBABILITY that contraband or evidence of crime will be found in the area searched
2) HEARSAY can support PC
3) YES, IF police corroboration shows that PC exists through COMMON SENSE and PRACTICAL determination
WARRANT IS PARTICULAR?
The search warrant must specify BOTH _____ AND _____
1) the PLACE TO BE SEARCHED
2) ITEMS TO BE SEIZED
Can a warrant that lacks PROBABLE CAUSE or PARTICULARITY be saved?
1) Rule for MBE
1) MBE: YES. Good faith reliance on a DEFECTIVE warrant can save a search or seizure
When WON'T good faith save a defective search warrant? (4 situations)
Application EGREGIOUSLY LACKS probable cause
SO FACIALLY DEFICIENT as to particularity
Based on KNOWING or RECKLESS FALSEHOODS
Issuing magistrate is BIASED in favor of prosecution (e.g., paid per warrant issued)
WARRANT PROPERLY EXECUTED?
1) Scope of warrant?
2) Front door?
1) Can't exceed the TERMS AND LIMITATIONS of the warrant
2) Must KNOCK AND ANNOUNCE unless doing so would
be FUTILE or DANGEROUS, or
INHIBIT INVESTIGATION (e.g., lead to destroyed evidence)
Validity of an
Valid if, at the time the warrant is issued, there is...
probable cause to believe
a future condition or event will occur
placing contraband or evidence of a crime
at the place and time identified in the warrant.
Crim Pro 1B
Crim Pro 1B - Warrant Complies with Fourth Amendment?