}= CNS depressant; produces relaxation, loss of inhibitions
- ◦slurred speech, unsteady gait. lack of coordination; impaired attention, concentration, memory, and judgment
- ◦ vomiting, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, hypotension, death
- }Withdrawal can be life-threatening; detoxification under medical supervision is needed.
- ◦coarse hand tremors, sweating, elevated blood pressure and pulse, insomnia, anxiety, nausea or vomiting
- }Severe or untreated withdrawal:
- ◦transient hallucinations, seizures, delirium tremens (DTs)
}Safe withdrawal from alcohol includes use of vitamin B1 (thiamine) supplements to prevent or treat Wernicke-Korsakoff’s syndrome, folic acid, multivitamins, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) for nutritional deficiencies, sedation, calm well lit environment.
}Withdrawal can take 2 days to 2 weeks.