Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
tending to do things very quickly, without thinking carefully first, or showing this quality [= impulsive]
if an unpleasant feeling or problem festers, it gets worse because it has not been dealt with
to suddenly give someone a lot of work, problems etc to deal with
to look quickly at something, or to look at something from behind something else, especially something that you are not supposed to see [↪ peep]
to tell someone officially that something they have done is very wrong
to throw or put something somewhere with a careless movement and some force [= chuck]
happening or done quickly and immediately
- 1. very distant
- 2. spread out over a very large area
have a quiet word
To speak to someone in private.
- have a word in someone's ear
- have a word in your shell-like
- informal to try to persuade someone to do business with you, buy something etc
- pitch for business/contracts/custom etc
- Booksellers are keen to pitch for school business.
- pitch to
- For many companies, pitching to investors has become almost a full-time job.
- sales reps pitching new gadgets
keep (someone) in the loop
- (idiomatic) To furnish someone with sufficient relevant information and include them in the decision-making process.
- keep someone in the dark
straight from the horse's mouth
(idiomatic) Directly from the source; firsthand.
at cross purposes
If two or more people are at cross purposes, they do not understand each other because they are talking about different subjects without realizing this
Wrong end of the stick
If someone has got the wrong end of the stick, they have misunderstood what someone has said to them.
under your breath
in a quiet voice so that no one can hear you
behaving in a confident way, so that people notice you
the stock market is said to be bearish when prices are expected to fall, and people sel la lot of shares as a result
to talk a lot without making any clear or important points
if there is a scarcity ofsomething, there is not enough of it
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview