Microbio lab 3 (streaking, types of media, spread-plate technique, etc.)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are the three types of media?
- 1. liquid/broth
- 2. semisolid (contains agar solidifying agent)
- 3. solid (contains agar solidifying agent)
what is the liquid/broth medium used for?
to propogate a large # of microorganisms
what is semisolid medium used for
- to determine bacterial
- motility and promote anaerobic growth
what is solid medium used for?
- observe surface
- growth of microorganisms & pure culture isolations also for storage of
if liquid media poured into test tube and solidified, can become what?
Test tube for agar slants and agar deep tube.
if liquid media poured into plate and solidified, it becomes
if liquid media solidified in broth tube, it becomes
turbid (cloudy) solution if bacteria are still present.
chemically defined/synthetic media are
- consist of known amounts
- of pure chemicals. Such media are used
- in culturing autotrophic microorganisms like algae or non Fastidious heterotrophs
- made of materials rich in vitamins
- & nutrients usually beef extract, yeast extract & peptones.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview