Organic Chem Into
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A Reducing agent is the species that _____ electrons; it is _________
An Oxidizing agent is the species that ______ electrons; it is _________
this type of reaction involved the production of water as two organic molecules are joined
The opposite reaction to the "hydrolysis reaction" is the __________ reaction
Describe the carboxylation reaction
A reaction where a carboxyl, or carboxylic acid group is added
Describe the "hydrogenation reaction"
- changes an unsaturated (double-bond) fatty acid into a saturated fatty acid
- **the reaction does not affect every alkene bond; some will reform as trans bonds
- requires a Ni (nickel) or Platinum (Pt) catalyst, and H2
describe the "hydration reaction" and its requirements
- the reaction is the addition of water to the double bond in an alkene
- often requires acid as a catalyst
Describe Markovnikov's rule
- relates to the "hydration reaction"
- states: if the alkene is asymmetric, the H will bond to the carbon with more H's, while the -OH will bond to the carbon with more groups attached
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview