Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- sound system becomes more complex
- language form becomes more complex
- lexicon increases
- decontextualized languages
- conversational management
- print awareness
- phonological awareness
- you have about 10,000 words by 6 years old
- how words are made up
- segment sounds
- sound out
school age accomplishments
- learn alphabetic principle
- vocab jump associated with reading
- reading and writing take us out of the here and now
- reading comprehension and writing demand social cognition
- literacy and college
- if you impose barriers, it can affect language and literacy learning
- kids from diverse backgrounds have different expectations of conversation
what is assessment?
- finding out where someone is functioning at a point in time
- data gathering
- analyzing and synthesizing data
why are assessments scary?
- they matter
- they are limited
what do i need to do a good assessment?
- ask the right questions the right way
- interact with people
- be flexible
- be efficient
- be prepared to be clear and to counsel
- deal with the grieving process
purposes of assessment
- identify skills a person does and does not have in an area of communication
- identify typical from disorder
- guide the design for intervention for enhancing a person's communicative skills
- to monitor growth
- to qualify for special services
scope and sequence of assessment for social communication
- screening and referral
- do we need to look further
designing and administering assessment protocol
- identify area of concern
- prior evaluations
- decide what kind of data to gather
- -systematic observation
- collect and organize data
formal commercial tests probe...
formal commercial tests separate ____ from ____
typical from non typical patterns
formal commercial tests give a score that compares performance with...
other children in the same age group
formal commercial tests are standardized which means...
must be identical each time
in formal commercial tests, you must use...
an appropriate comparison group
standardized norm referenced tests separate typical from non typical if they are...
- reliable (consistent)
- valid (measures what it is supposed to)
- administered as directed
- used with an appropriate comparison group
standardized norm referenced tests don't measure...
____ are only one piece of the puzzle
standardized norm referenced tests
you gather all kinds of information in assessment findings
- survey? questionnaire?
- interaction with variety of tasks
- interaction in "real" communication
in assessments, you need to evaluate _____ as appropriate
interpreting assessment findings
- you gather all kinds of information
- evaluate physical system as appropriate
- formal testing measures
- checklists of behaviors
- other sources
- -dynamic assessment
- put together a bigger picture
- capture social communication at that stage of client's life
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview