Ch 12 Questions.txt
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
6 steps to solve any problm:
- • Interview usr & back↑ data
- • examin systm/anlyz problm & make initial determin'n of problm source
- • test theory, if not confirmed, form anthr theory /escal8 problm to som1 higher up w/more expernce/resources
- • after problm source, plan what to do & fix it
- • verfy problm fixed & systm works; take prevntve measurs, make sure doesn't happn again
- • documnt activities, outcoms, & what u learnd
What folder driver files stored in ?
- possble bad memry,
- corruptd hrd drive,
- or failing procssr.
- most likly hrd drve corrpted,
- can run Chkdsk /r
3 othr names for a BSOD:
Blu Screen of Death, Blue Screen, Stop Err
When an app writtn for WinXP doesnt work in Win7, which tool should you attmpt use 1st to solv problm, Compat Mode / XP Mode? Why?
Compat Mode, cuz XP Mode only availble on virtual machines (use least invasive method 1st).
BAD_POOL_HEADER can indicate many diff err:
- Corrupt apps, Win , bad memory. *Roll back any recent updates, Check recent changes/updates to systm.
- If sevrl updates occrred, possibly apply restore pt from just before problm startd.
Command-line tool used to stop progrm that is hung?
Taskkill /f /pid: (taskpid)
If app works when in Safe Mode, but not normal mode?
it's probly an unecesry startup progrm (that's source of problm).
How does Win know which app to use to open file when u dbl-click file in Win Explor?
file ext determins assoc in Win
Used to registr component of app in Win Regstry by eithr sftware develpr/systm admstr
Component Servcs & Regsvr32.exe tools
Win tool used-
install drivrs so usr can open data file using app. normally not used w/ file.
Data Sources (ODBC)
How can u elimin8 possiblty that app error is caused by anothr app running in bckgrnd?
Boot systm in Safe mode, then run app
Methods used to test memry on WinXP systm:
- If can't boot from hrd drve, boot from Win setup DVD
- Opening screen, sel ur lang
- Nxt screen, clck Repair ur comptr
- Next box, sel the Win instal'n to repair
- Systm Recovry Opt'n Win appears
- Clck Win Memry Diagnstc & follow direct'n on-screen.
- If tool reports memry err, replace all memry modules installd on mthrboard
GUI tool used to stop progrm that's hung?
How many bits does an x86-based OS prcss @ 1 time?
Comm using Memory Diagnstcs tool?
2Blue screen err happen when ? procss runs
- kernel mode encountr a problm
- & Win must stop systm
8 steps to follow when u get a BSOD after start-up:
- •Search web for err name
- • If Device drver name/servce shown: use win explor to loc8 progrm file, sel file properties, look @ details (to determin purpose of file) Then, reinstall device drver that caused issue.
- • Immedtly (after systm restart ) Win err mssge box maybe shown w/useful info.
- • Chck Event Viewr.
- • Chck Archivd msgs (Action Cntr) & in Vsta, chck Problm Reports & Solut'ns windows
- • Run Wind updates & apply any patchs
- • Undo any recent changes to system
- • Run Memry Diagnstcs tool -chck memry & use Chkdsk /r to chck for hrd drive err
- 22DIVIDE_BY_ZERO_ERROR Describe each of the following. Note: some of these terms refer to processors, some to operating systems, and some to both.
- 23x86-64 Hybrid processor can process 32 / 64-bits
- 24AMD64 Refers specifically AMD hybrid processors.
- 25IA64 Specifically Intel 64-bit processors (Itanium/ Xeon)
- 26x64 Refers to 64-bit OS
- 27Question 4 asks about the command to use Memory Diagnostics. What are the other two ways to start Memory Diagnostics?
- Method 1: In command prompt window, enter mdsched.exe and press enter. A dialogue box appears
- Asking if you want to run the test now or on next restart.
- Method 2: If you can't load Windows desktop, press the spacebar during the boot. The Windows Boot Manager screen appears. Select Windows Memory Diagnostic and press Enter.
- 28Describe the most common cause of improper shutdowns/ system lockups, and list four troubleshooting steps:
- 1. Check Event Viewer.
- 2. Apply any Windows Patches.
- 3. Use Memory Diagnostics & Chkdsk.
- 4. Check the BIOS for CPU temperature. (not exceed 38 C)
29List 2 ways to turn disable automatic restarts if you're caught in endless cycle of restarts & BSODs:
Restart PC in Safe Mode, if unable to boot, (Safe Mode) Press F8 @ startup and select Disable automatic restart on system failure.
30List 4 steps to take if an app has been installed, but never worked:
- 1. Update Windows & search web.
- 2. Run installation program/ app as administrator.
- 3. Check if older app is having compatibility problems with Windows.
- 4. Verify app is digitally signed.
- caused by bad memry
- Run Memory Diagnostics to test it
31List 13 useful rules of troubleshooting::
- 1. Approach problem systematically.
- 2. Establish priorities.
- 3. Beware of User error.
- 4. Keep your cool & don't rush.
- 5. Make no assumptions.
- 6. Try simple things 1st.
- 7. Become a researcher.
- 8. Divide & conquer.
- 9. Write things down.
- 10. Don't assume the worst.
- 11. Reboot & start over.
- 12. Use least invasive solution 1st!
- 13. Know your starting point.
- 32List the 3-step process for forming & testing your best guess:
- 1. Reproduce problem & observe for yourself what the user has described.
- 2. Decide if the problem is hardware/software related.
- 3. Make your best guess as to the source of problem & don't forget to question the obvious.
33List the 5-step process for solving app problems:
- 1. Interview the User &backup data.
- 2. Error Messages, Google the web, and logs can help.
- 3. Consider the data or app is corrupted.
- 4. Consider outside interference.
- 5. Consider Windows might be problem.
34Suppose you’re about to troubleshoot a computer that is unable to boot to the Windows desktop, and the user has files that haven’t been backed up yet. How can you back up the files?
- Remove drive & place into a working computer.
- Copy the files needed from the drive onto another drive, Flash Drive, CD, etc.
- *Be sure the user verifies that all the necessary files have been copied.
- * Be sure the drive is set to be secondary drive.
- If Sata drive no setup is necessary.
- IDE or Pata drives may require switch setting to connect as Slave drive
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview