Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
metformin indication and class
- activates hepatic and skeletal muscle AMPK to
- increase ATP generating processes (glycolysis, glycogenolysis, lipolysis) while
- decreasing ATP utilising processes (gluconeogenesis, glycogen synthesis, lipogenesis)
- promoting insulin mediated glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity
what type of DM2 patients is metformin particularly beneficial to and why?
obese/overweight patients because it increases lipolysis and decreases lipogenesis meaning it improves lipid profiles
what effect does increasing AMPK have on the cell?
AMPK is usually increased in the presence of increased AMP which is a product of ATP use, indicating that there is decreased ATP. Specifically AMPK phosphorylates enzymes and transcription factors to either activate or deactivate them. For example, AMPK phosphorylates
differences between COX-1 and COX-2
- cox-1: steady rate of expression throughout all cells of body important for regulatory mechanisms so inhibition leads to GIT effects
- cox-2: expressed only in the presence of foreign material to produce proinflammatory cytokines so inhibition leads to antiinflammatory effects
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview