The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- redefined learning disability to allow LEAs (local ed agencies) to eliminate IQ achievement gap/severe discrepancy (wait to fail) causes behavior issues to arise
- use of up to 15% of federal funds for interventions
- -minute student has issue or difficulty, need RTI
- No Child Left Behind
- requires students with diablities to participate in statewide assessments (parents can't opt out)
- must demonstrate adequate yearly progress toward being proficient in reading and math
reading characteristics of students with learning disabilities (dyslexia)
- VISUAL PERCEPTUAL-MOTOR THEORIES
- moves head jerkily from side to side
- shows tension while reading
- difficulty recalling theme
- difficulty recalling basic facts
- reversing words or letters
- omitting a word
- poor left to right orientation
- possible difficulty with visual tracking skills
what might a person with dyslexia exhibit?
- difficulty producing complex words
- difficulty with tongue twisters
- -memory deficits
- difficulty with repetition of nonsense words
- difficulty with short term memory
- -phonological awareness
- central to students with reading deficits
- measured at the beginning of kinder, it is one of the best predictors for reading skills
- irlen method of suing colored lenses to deal with light
- sensitivity and problems with reading material on high gloss white paper. more evidence required
- vision therapy: not evidence based
what might dyslexia be?
- a specific disorder of phonological processing
- complex phonological production-many LD students are intelligible
what do many learning disabilities students have trouble with?
- -handwriting itself
- -may write slow
- -may fatigue quickly
- -difficulty with writing fluency
- -may be due to developmental maturity
- written language
- -difficulty with info in narrative form
- -" "with reading comprehension, therefore writing
- -oral language deficits also seen with writing
several federal laws impact provision of services to students with ld in the public schools. the _______ tries to minimize performance inequities between mainstream students and those who perform poorly, the ______ eliminates the need for a significant discrepancy in order to make a diagnosis of learning disability.
nclb, ideia 2004
__________ skills include the abiltiy to think and talk about language, these skills cut across both spoken and written language
some students with reading disabilities may have ____________ a condition that is treated with colored lenses or glasses.
scotopic sensitivity syndrome
a student with __________ has difficutly with the actual process of handwritting, she frequently writes slowly and forms letters poorly
the _______ for students with reading disabilities is a multisensory approach in which professionals sit beside and slightly behind the students and help students follow along with their finger under each word as they read
neurological impress method
tudents with written language impairments (students with ld) usually have a low iq that impacts their ability to learn
a child with an ld who had difficulty repeating words such as aluminum and had difficulty repeating tongue twisters would be said to have difficulty in
complex phonological production
filipino student was diagnosed in precious school district as having an ld. in report slp says he has difficulty with conversational repair, adjusting his lang to accommodate the status of his conversational partner, and staying on topic that his peers are discussing. this indicates that he has difficulty with...
asked to give a workshop to a group of parents who wish to understand term dyslexia. hyou believe it's due to deficits in phonological processing. what will you not tell parents?
students with phonological processing problems are generally intelligible and do not have difficulty producing phonologically complex words such as aluminum
cambodian student who only speaks khmer at home. low income family and they have five children. child enjoys computers but has great difficulty with reading and writing. what would you recommend in this situation
- teachers should encourage her to utilize the computer lab at school as often as possible to complete assignments
- teachers encourage use of library and books to take home