Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Condemned standard oil co
Exposed corruption of city govs
Poverty in the cities
- Voting Reforms
- Boss Tweed
- 17th Amendment
- Secret ballot:
- -eliminates voter intimidation and there is more privacy
- -gives citizens a more direct role in the gov.
- -direct election of senators
-Nast draws a picture of Boss tweed an d makes his stance look harsh. Boss Tweed is taking everyone's money and it shows how corrupt he is.
- Pennsylvania Coal Miner Strike
- Health Consumer Laws
- Workplace Regulations
Pennsylvania Coal Miner Strike
- -American of Federation of Labor represented the skilled workers and was created by Samuel Gambers
- -they got a 10% raise
- -9 hour work day
- -Arbitration it was the first time, the federal gov intervened in a strike to protect workers
Health Consumer Laws
- Upton Sinclair exposed the unsanitary process by which animals become meat
- Meat Inspection Act meat that was going to be shipped had to be inspected
- Pure Food and Drug Act (labels with ingredients)
Work Place Regulations
- Fire alarms, fire escapes, outward opening doors, and clearly marked exits
- Tenement Act of 1901
- Waste Disposal
- Fire and Police Departments
Tenement Act of 1901
Lightning in hallways and 1 bathroom for 2 families.
There was no garbage disposal and this led to sanitation issues so waste disposal teams were organized
Many poor residents led to lots of crime and there was no one to go to for emergencies. Fire/Police Departments were organized.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview