The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Is listening carefully for the purpose of attacking (85)
Attending to communication to analyze and evaluate the content of communication or the person speaking (86)
Perceiving personal attacks, criticisms, or hostile undertones in communication where none are intended (85)
The physiological activity that occurs when sound waves hit our eardrums.
Unlike listening hearing is a passive process(75)
Listening to gain and understand information; tends to focus on the content level of meaning (86)
A complex process that consists of being mindful, physically receiving messages, selecting and organizing information, interpreting, responding, and remembering (75)
- Being fully present in the moment; the first step of listening and the foundation of all other steps.
- From Zen Buddhism (76)
Communication that, by expressing interest in hearing more, gently invites another person to elaborate (89)
Pretending to listen (83)
- Listening to support another person or to understand another person's feelings and perceptions;
- Focuses on the relational level of meaning as much as the content level of meaning (88)
- Focusing on only selected parts of communication.
- We listen selectively when we screen out parts of a message that don't interest us or with which we disagree and also when we rivet attention on parts of communication that do interest us or with which we agree (84)