Tech-Special Procedures(Thoracostomy Tube)
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When is a thoracostomy done?
- significant amt of pleural effusion
This is usually done under anesthesia but what else may be adequate in some cases?
The entire thorax should be clipped and draped making sure to leave what visible?
the 13th rib as a landmark
A circle and an x mark what two sites?
- circle-site of skin incision
- x-site of pleural space puncture
Is the needle inserted directly into the cavity?
no you make a sq tunnel first
How do you measure the tube?
point of insertion to thoracic inlet
Required materials for thoracostomy tube placement:C3CCH/A
- chest tube
- 3 way stop cock
- connection tubing
- clamps (minimum of 2!)
- heimlich walve or active sealed drain(typically not used in small animals)
The chinese finger not is used for what?
to anchor the chest tube
The purse string suture is used for what?
to secure the test tube
What are the 2 types of sunctions?
- manual aspiration(tube capped)
- continuous sunction(hooked to machine)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview