Infection and Disease part 4
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the incubation stage and the incubation period?
is the time from the first exposure to the pathogen to the time symptoms become apparents
length of incubation period varies considerably for some microorganisms
What does the incubation time depend on?
health of the host
virulence of the microb
generation of time of the pathogen
time for organism to migrate from point of entry to site of infection
What is the prodromal stage (phase or period)?
short period just before sprcific symptoms set in where the patient experiences malaise (general feeling of discomfort, headach, joint pain, muscle ache)
What happens at the invasion period of illness or sickness?
When the pathogen is multiplying, producing toxins.
signs and symptoms include cough, rash, diarrhea
immune system is responding to pathogen
corresponds to symptoms seen during an acute or chronic infection
What happens at the decline phase?
The patient's condistion worsens
immue system works to remove microbe, but unsuccessful
high levels of immunological molecules, antibodies. (elevate white blood cell)
patient either recovers or the disease is fatal
what is the convalescence?
patient survives the infection
microbes eliminated from the body
signs and symptoms abate and patient starts to feel better
affected tissues and systems are repaired.
What are non-infectious diseases?
diseases caused by factors other than microbes.
What are the non-infectious diseases caused by?
- Idiopathic disease-unknown causing disease
- Iatrogenic disease-procedural error or surgical
- Neoplastic diseases-abnormal cell growth (tumor)
- immunological diseases-disease by immune sys
- mental diseases-infeciton due to emotion or psych
- endocrine diseases-abscence of hormones
- nutritional deficiencies-disorders nutrient deficienc.
- degenerative diseases-age developing disorders
- congenital diseases-birth defects
- inherited-genetic disorders
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview