The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
are flowers needed for continuation of a species?
False. an use veggie parts (ex.strawberry runners)
- Bisexual/perfect-Flower with both male/female parts
- Monoecious-have male and female blooms on one plant. ex.cucumber,sweet corn
- Dioecious-have one male or female on a plant and need another plant ex holly,date palm
- have double set of petals
- caused by mutation in which sexual parts developed into petals.
three main parts of a pistil or carpel
- Stigma-the top
- Stigma-thin vertical shaft
- ovary-bulb like base(inside ovules develop into seeds)
flower structure made up of
- Central Female structure
- surrounding male parts called stamen
- Nonreproductive parts called perianth
stamens are composed of
- anther at the top which produces pollen
- sporting stock called the filament
beneath reproduction parts are the petals and the sepals(We flake based beneath the pedals) under this is the...
receptacle- and large base where the flower rests
colored petals do two things
- attract insects was transferred pollen and shield the pistol and stamens from the weather
- sepals for covering of the developing flower bud.
flower clusters or inflorescences are named by...
the bases on the positioning of the blooms
primary difference between fruits(enlarged ovaries is)
fleshy or dry
fleshy fruits are
- have lots of water
- ex plums strawberries,cucumbers squash
dry fruits include
pecans,sunflowers,contain very little water
whether the fruit splits during maturity releasing the seed
when the fruit does not split during maturity ex pods like beans or peas
fruits classified by position
- drupe fruit- fleshy exterior and a single seed encased in hard covering
- pome fruits- mature with multiple seed ovary ex apples
- berry- have one more seeds soft fleshy covering examples great, tomatoes,
see born outside the juicy part example strawberry, Dandelion