Apple OS X Mountain Lion Support Essentials 10.8
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Describe the process for creating an external Mountain Lion Recovery volume.
- Download the Recovery Disk Assistant
- Reformat the external disk to GUID
- Launch the Recovery Disk Assistant
- Select external GUID disk
State the methods by which the Mountain Lion installer may be obtained.
The OS X Mountain Lion installer can be purchased and downloaded only from the Mac App Store.
What are the minimum hardware requirements for upgrading a system with OS X Mountain Lion?
- OS X v10.6.8 or later
- 2 GB of memory
- 8 GB of available space
- Some features require an Apple ID
- Some features require a compatible Internet service provider
- Compatible Mac model (as listed on www.apple.com/osx/specs/)
Given a Mac with OS X installed, verify that the computer meets the minimum hardware requirements to install the latest OS X software.
Use System Information, was System Profiler (located in the Utilities folder)
What four preparation steps must you take before upgrading a system with OS X Mountain Lion?
- Install Apple software and firmware updates
- Verify application compatibility
- Back up important files and folders
- Document critical settings
What three primary sources can Migration Assistant pull from?
- From another Mac
- From a Windows PC
- From Time Machine or another disk
How can you identify if a Mac requires a firmware update?
- Find the computer's firmware for EFI Boot ROM and SMC under System Information
- Visit the Apple support website, which maintains a list of available firmware updates
- Manually download firmware from Apple Support Download website at http://support.apple.com/downloads
Navigate to the Support or Downloads pages on the Apple website to find the latest compatible firmware update.
Describe the process for reinstalling OS X using the Mountain Lion Recovery volume.
- Power computer and hold down Command-R to open recovery partition
- Use Disk Utility to reformat system disk (if needed)
- Select Reinstall OS X
- After re-installation verify Startup Disk and restart
What options can you select from during the OS X Mountain Lion installation?
During installation of OS X Mountain Lion, the only optional choice is to define an installation destination other than the Mac computer’s current default system disk.
Describe how formatting a Mac computer’s hard disk into a single partition can simplify the process of preparing to install OS X.
Single-partition drives are easier to set up initially, but they aren’t as flexible for administration and maintenance.
Describe how formatting a Mac computer’s hard disk into multiple partitions can simplify the process of configuring and using the Mac.
Multiple-partition drives require repartitioning during setup but provide several separate partitions, which can be used to segregate user data and host multiple operating systems.
Describe how maintenance of multiple operating systems can be simplified by installation on a multiple-partition drive.
Other systems can act as utility systems to repair the primary system or one another
Describe how keeping operating system data and user data separate can be simplified by installation on a multiple-partition drive.
Multiple storage locations which allows to easily replace OS if needed
Describe the OS X installation process, including decisions made in response to Installer interface options.
- Double-click the Install OS X Mountain Lion app; in the window that appears, click Continue, and then click Agree to agree to the software license agreement.
- Choose where to install the OS - Must be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Click Install, and then provide an admin-level username and password when promptedThe installer window go through install prep then restart automatically
- After your Mac restarts, the actual installation occurs and will restart again when completed
What two resources does the local hidden OS X Recovery HD need in order to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion?
- The local hidden OS X Recovery HD doesn’t include the OS X installation assets. Thus, reinstalling OS X Mountain Lion from here requires high-speed Internet access and the ability to verify access to the installation assets.
- Upgraded Mac computers are verified by entering the Apple ID used to purchase OS X Mountain Lion. Conversely, verification is automatic for Mac computers that included OS X Mountain Lion.
What utilities are available when started up from OS X Recovery?
- Restore From Time Machine Backup
- Reinstall OS X
- Get Help Online
- Disk Utility
- Startup Disk
- Firmware Password Utility
- Network Utility
- Reset Password
Configure a Mac with OS X for use on a local area network with Internet access.
- Join a wireless network using the Wi-Fi icon on the top right of the menu bar
- Plug in a Ethernet cable and use System Preference to adjust IP address settings
State where in the GUI interface you configure a Mac computer’s network settings.
Open System Preferences from the Dock or the Apple menu and choose Network
What is a configuration profile?
A configuration profile is a document, with the filename extension “.mobileconfig,” that contains system settings as defined by an administrator.
How are configuration profiles managed?
Opening a configuration profile prompts the system to install the profile and configure the settings. Installed configuration profiles are managed via the Profiles preference pane.
Describe how Setup Assistant is used to configure settings on an OS X computer running Mountain Lion.
- Keyboard Layout
- Network Connection
- Transfer Information to this Mac
- Enable Location Services
- Apple ID
- Local account creation
- Select Time Zone
What are the five categories of preferences in System Preferences?
Personal, Hardware, Internet & Wireless, System, and Other
How do the four default System Preferences categories differ?
Generally, Personal preferences affect only a single user;Hardware preferences affect hardware and peripheral settings; Internet & Wireless preferences affect personal and system network settings; and System preferences affect all users and often require administrative access.
Describe how software and security updates are made available to client computers via the Software Update preference pane in System Preferences, and the Software Update and App Store items in the Apple menu.
Automatic or Manual Software Updates via App Store and brought to the user's attention via the Notification Center
Given a Mac with OS X installed, identify any updates that have been installed.
- Installer Log
- /Applications/Utilities/Console | /var/log | install.log
Define “version number” as it pertains to an installation of OS X.
The system version number defines the specific version of OS X currently installed. Located in the About This Mac dialog, System Information, or login screen
Define the system term “build number” as they pertain to an installation of OS X.
The system build number is an even more specific identifier used primarily by developers. Located in the About This Mac dialog, System Information, or login screen
Define the system term “serial number” as it pertains to an installation of OS X.
The system serial number is a unique number used to identify a specific Mac. Located in the About This Mac dialog, System Information, login screen, or on the Mac case.
What key features do you gain by setting up iCloud?
- iCloud is a free service from Apple that provides cloud storage and communication services for applications.
- Includes Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Safari,Photo Stream, and any other applications that support iCloud integration).
- iCloud also provides Find My Mac technology for help locating a lost or stolen system.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview