The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
3 actions to stop a vehicle
- See a hazard
- think decide to stop
- do- place foot on brake pedal
Safe following distance in a large vehicle is the _________ second rule.
- poor road conditions double your following distance.
Low speed-off tracking
Low- moderate speed turns the rear tires are pulled inward of the steering path.
High speed off-tracking
When a vehicle travels at higher speeds the rear tires pull outward from the steering path
- 1. stop in a safe place as far off the road as possible
- 2.if stopped in a dangerous locaton evacuate the bus
- 3.if stopped during the day activate thehazard lights, place an approved warning device 30 metres(100 ft) in front and behind the bus
- 5. if stopped in darkness activate hazards and place warning device 75 metres(250 ft)
- 6. if you can't fix quickly or radio or phone for help stay with bus
- 1. prepare well in advance position in appropriate lane
- 2. give turn signal in sufficient time
- 3.reduce speed and downshift
- 4.check traffic and conditions L and R than L again
- 5.check traffic signs
- 6.L turn take L most lane. keep front wheels pointed staight
- 7. R turn take R most lane
- 8. On dual turn lanes take the outer lane
- 9. don't shift during turn
- 10.check L&R mirrors as u turn
- 11. check turn signal cancells after turn
- It is illegal to reverse a school bus in a school yard or at a location next to schoolground unless u have a guide
- 1. physically check the area for any obstructions and clearances
- 2. responsible adult act as a guide
- 3.agree on hand signals
- 4. tell them where to stand
- 5. tap the horn
- 6.reverse slowly
- 7. stop if you lose sight of guide
- Only turn around on highway if it can't be done on private rd. never back onto or across the highway
- 1.start slow and well in advance
- 2.stop in proper position on the main road. 1 bus legnth ahead of the road that you will be reservsing into. check traffic in all dirctions
- 3. back into the road on the right when clear using your mirrors and shoulder check to the right
- 4. re-enter the main roadway when clear and safe
Loading and unloading passengers at the turnaround
- 1. load the passengers before the turnaround
- 2. unload passengers after backing
u turn can be done on a four lane divided highway if the length of the bus is less than the width of the median separating the flow of traffic. Must be brought to a full stop on the crossroad and front and back of bus must be clear of all traffic lanes.
Passenger loading and unloading
- 1. law: alternating flashing red lights and stop arm only be used when loading and unloading passengers
- 2. drivers of vehicles must stop in both directions except on a divided highway when flashing lights
- 3.buses equiped with eight light sysytem, must activate amber flashing lights as the bus slows doen
- 4. pull as far right as practical before stopping
- 5.activate the flashing red lights when the bus come to a complete stop
- 6.check all traffic has stopped, transmission is in neutral or park, and park brake is applied, keep firm pressure on the brake pedal
- 7. open door
- 8. if students must cross the highway in a rural area. insttruct them to go at least 10 paces in front of the bus, stop before entering road way and wait for your direction. don't lose sight of the child.
- 9. before moving check all mirrors.
- 10. turn off alternately flashing lights after students are seated. release park brake signal and re-enter traffic when safe
Driver must be aware of the following when loading and unloading
- 1. the bus not be moving when loading and unloading
- 2. it is against the law to back a school bus in a schoolyard without guidance from a responcible person
- 3. ensure all the students are seated while the bus is in motion
- 4. never exceed the seating capacity of the bus
- 5. always use frequent mirror checks to be sure that is is safe before activating the alternating flashing red lights or giving signal for students to cross the road
- 6. if a vehicle doesn't stop write down the licence number and report to police.
Parking on a hill
- 1. law: wheels are no more than 50cm(19in) from the curb.
- 2. must be left in low gear or reverse or neutral for an automatic. with park brake engaged
- 3.downdill: front wheels should always be turned to the right
- 4. uphill with a curb:front wheels should be turned to the left
- 5.uphill without a curb: front wheels should be turned to the right
- 6. if there is a curb allow the vehicle to roll to the point where the front tires make contact with the curb
- 1. required by law to at a railway crossing unless:
- *it has a traffic control signal, lights or bell
- *a peace officer or flagman directs you to proceed
- Uncontrolled crossings:
- 1. no excess noise turn off fans, radios, and ask passengers to be quiet
- 2.if in a muti-lane highway, signal and change to far right lane well in advance of the crossing
- 3. check traffic behind: do not use flashing red lights
- 4. Stop not less than 5 metres (16ft) or more than 15 metres(49ft) from the nearest track
- 5.put manual transmission in neutral or park. Automatic, engage the parking brake and keep firm pressure on the brake
- 6. Open the front door and drivers window. look both ways and listen for train. if you see or hear warning signal or train whistle and don't see a train do not cross the tracks until safe.
- 7.If bright sunlight, fog, snow or smoke make it hard to, walk to the track(never leave the bus without turning off the engine, setting brake,putting transmission in lowest gear and take key out
- 8.when safe, select appropriate gear, release park brake, check left and right, close door, cross tracks. don't shift until you clear the tracks
Discipline and problem solving
- issues must be dealt with quickly and efficiently
- you cannot unload the student at any place other than the students normal destination. Only the school admin,. may remove or prohibit a student from riding the bus.
Safe driving guidelines
- 1. max speed limit for a loaded and unloaded bus under ideal conditions is 90km/h or the posted speed limit whichever is lower
- 2.do not try to make up lost time by travelling faster than reasonable
- 3. when following another vehicle always allow enough space using the 4 second rule and increase the distance when the road or weather conditions are poor or when it is difficult to see
- 4.ensure all students are seated and remain seated while the bus is moving. Rear door is only used for an emergency by law
- 5. all doors closed when moving
- 6.use caution when moving away from the curb as you do not have the right of way
- 7.use caution when crossing a highway
- 8. never refuel with passengers aboard.
- 9.establish good relationships with passengers
- 10.have an evacuation drill at the beginning of the year
- 11.evacuate the bus:
- *front exit, the rear exit, and the front and rear at the same time
- 12.you may activate the strobe lamp during adverse atmosphereic and visibility aconditions, fog, blizzard and smoke