The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- (D) Pennsylvania
- (E) Rhode Island
- 24. Great Britain's conquest of French North America was facilitated by which of the following?
- (A) The large number of English-speaking settlers in Canada.
- (B) The discovery of the Northwest Passage.
- (C) The thin settlement of France's North American colonies.
- (D) The munitions industry in England's Atlantic Seaboard colonies.
- (E) The Battle of Austerlitz.
- 25. Benjamin Franklin's advice to eighteenth century American colonists that hard work and thrift would lead them to wealth was an appropriate formula for the time because:
- (A) taxes on income were needed by the government to raise revenues.
- (B) land scarcity and a rapidly growing population seriously curtailed economic opportunities.
- (C) most people of the period were unusually gullible and thus easily motivated by slogans and proverbs.
- (D) formal education and specialized skills were less necessary to economic success than they would later become.
- (E) legal restraints on the inheritance of wealth were increasing.
48. After 1763, changes in the British imperial system threatened the interests of which of the following groups of American colonists?
- I. Land speculators with interests west of the Appalachians
- II. Newspaper editors and lawyers
- III. Farmers wishing to settle in the Ohio River Valley
- IV. Boston smugglers
- (A) III only
- (B) IV only
- (C) I and III only
- (D) I, III, and IV only
- (E) I, II, III, IV
- 49. The Stamp Act of 1765 was designed to:
- (A) increase colonial postal rates.
- (B) establish a colonial mint to stamp out silver coins.
- (C) facilitate British postal censorship of colonial mails.
- (D) establish a colonial postal service.
- (E) increase British tax revenue from the colonies.
- 50. The French government supported the American Revolution primarily because:
- (A) There was general support for the political ideals of the Englightenment in France.
- (B) an American victory would enable France to recapture Canada.
- (C) Benjamin Franklin and his scientific achievements inspired the admiration of the French.
- (D) France wished to reduce the British empire and gain influence in North America.
- (E) France's ally, Spain, was eager to recapture Gibralter from Britain.
(E) "Old Fuss and Feathers."
- 73. The Cumberland Trail connects:
- (A) the Northwest Territory with New Orleans.
- (B) Cincinnati with Louisville.
- (C) Omaha with Kansas City.
- (D) Tulsa with Little Rock.
- (E) Baltimore with Wheeling.
- 74. The Harford Convention pertains to which of the following?
- (A) Importation of slaves until 1808, Three-Fifths Compromise, Elastic Clause, and "due process."
- (B) Petition by grievances, "All men are created equal", inalienable rights, and consent of the governed.
- (C) Opposition to slavery, opposition to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Fugitive Slave Law, and the protective tariff.
- (D) Two-thirds vote to declare war, omission of slaves from the census, one term for presidents, and opposition to the War of 1812.
- (E) Sovereignty of each state, indivisibility of sovereignty, null and void, and the union as a compact among states.
- 75. That it aided financial operations of the government is true about:
- (A) Jefferson's economic policy.
- (B) rechartering the Second National Bank of 1816.
- (C) Jackson's economic policy.
- (D) the internal improvement policy of 1815.
- (E) the economic basis of sectionalism.