Drugs in Pregnancy
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the balanced prenatal supplement recommended for pregnant females?
- 30-60 mg elemental iron
- 0.5-0.8 mg folic acid
Iron deficient women need more iron during which trimesters?
- 1st and 3rd trimester -Hgb <11 and HCT <33%
- 2nd trimester - Hgb <10.5 and HCT <32%
What happens when iron is given on an empty stomach and/or on an empty stomach?
- reduced when taken with food
- cause stomach upset when stomach is empty
- **recommended to take with food
iron is usually constipating, co-administration of what is helpful?
docusate (Colase) 100 mg BID
Proper folic acid levels during pregnancy reduce chances of what?
- Neural tube defects
- *folic acid is essential for DNA and RNA synthesis
Neural tube defects normally occur when?
during the first month of pregnancy
if the mother has previously had a child with neural tube defects, what is the recommendation for folic acid?
4mg/day starting 1 month before conception through the first three months
Phenothiazines (for nausea and vomiting) can cross the placenta so tetragenicity is a potential risk, but considered safe in low doses. What are the meds used to tx N/V in pregnant females?
10-30% women have constipation during pregnancy. What are the recommendations and/or medications used to tx constipation and what medications should be avoided?
- Increase fluid, exercise and increase bulk in diet with veggies, fruits and fiber.
- Docusate (Colace)- in two doses for stool softner
- Metamucil (bulking agent)
- AVOID: stimulant laxatives (bisacodyl (dulcolax), senna and enemas
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview