Organic Chemistry Chapter 5
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Any object with a non-superimposable (not able to overlap) mirror image
molecules that are non-superimposable, mirror images
Any carbon with 4 different groups attached
- 1. Determine 4 priorities
- - higher atomic number = higher priority
- - count multiple bonds as extra single bonds
- 2. Orient molecule with lowest priority group facing away
- 3. clockwise rotation = R
- counter-clockwise rotation = S
What is the maximum number of stereoisomers possible with n number of stereogenic centers?
What is a diastereomer?
stereomers that are not mirror images of one another
- a compound with 2+ stereogenic centers that is achiral
- internal plane of symmetry
How do the chemical properties of enantiomers differe?
Same chemical properties except for their reaction with chiral, non-racemic reagents.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview