The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
CAS SUPPORTED OPERATIONAL AREAS:
- CLOSE COMBAT
- JOINT SECURITY AREA (JSA)
Limited in scope and duration to supporting maneuver forces or Spec Ops due to short and intense nature
The responsiveness and firepower of _____
greatly augment the combat power of rear area forces.
CAS SUPPORTED MISSIONS:
- Stability Operations
_______ is the most overlooked aspects of maneuver and fire support training.
PLANNING AND INTEGRATION
- Relies upon coordination with TF staff elements
- Answer CAS questions METT-TC
- S2 Functions:
- S3 Operations
- Fire Support Officer/ Joint Fires Element
- Aviation LNO
- Electronic Warfare Officer
CAS PLANNING FACTORS:
- Purpose of Mission
- Commanders intent
- C2 capability
- As threat level increases pre-briefing and detailed mission planning become critical.
Friendly troop locations and movement
PARAMOUNT TO SUCCESS
TERRAIN AND WEATHER
- Route Planning
- CP's, Orbits, IP's, HA's, BP's
- LOS Comms
- Decreased visibilty
- Planners at every level require and understanding of the effects of weather on A/C navigation, sensors, and weapons system.
- Mass Fires
- Synchronization of fire and maneuver
- Inadequate time management may result in reduced effectiveness and increased risk to aircrews and ground troops.
CIVILLIANS AND COLLATERAL CONCERNS:
2000 LB JDAM ISN'T ALWAYS THE ANSWER.
- Know enemy situation and location of friendly units
- GFC's target priority, desired effects and timing of fires
Permits CAS to function without interference
- builds overall SA
- Worth a Thousand Words!
- JTAC/FAC(A) should mark targets whenever necessary
STREAMLINED AND FLEXIBLE PROCEDURES
Proper utilization of the CAS mission brief (9 Line)
JTAC's and aircrew must weaponeer______.
Appropriate Ordinance _____ fratricide and collateral concerns.
Loss or Lack of Target _______ is leading cause of fratricide.
Fixed Wing Control Points
15-30 NM from the initial IP
IP's are ______ from target area.
Holding Areas (HA) is located behind the ____.
Battle Position (BP)
BP is an Airspace Coordination Area
- Must be within weapons range
- adequate maneuver area
FIRING POINT (FP)
- Specific point within the (BP)
- Aircrews choose their own BP's
JTAC's Role is especially critical during the ____ phase.
FINAL ATTACK HEADING (FAH)
- magnetic compass heading flown by the aircraft during ordnance delivery
- Don't over restrict your Aircraft!
Factors to be considered during Attack Phase:
- Run in Heading
- Offset Direction if applicable
When accessing a final attack heading for a specific target always________.
STRIVE TO ATTACK
ATTACK IN WHAT DIRECTION?
- Parallel to forward trace of friendlies/collaterals
- Attack away from friendlies/collaterals if not parallel
- Always consider composition and orientation of target
JTACs use an offset direction to:
- Ease fire support coordination
- align A/C for the attack or egress
- Keep aircrews away from threats/hazards
JTACs should avoid placing unnecessary ____ on the attack aircraft. Use only when needed.
"SPLITTING THE CONE"
When IP to target run ins split the FAH.
Options when splitting the cone occurs:
- Change the FAH
- Choose another IP
Drive the A/C Flight path on the Egress Side.