Hypnosis and Stuff
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a social interacction in which one person (the hypnotist) suggests to another (the subject) that certain perceptions, feelings, thoughts, or behaviors will spontaneously occur
Can anyone experience hypnosis?
Virtually anyone will experience hypnotic responsiveness if led to expect it
Can hypnosis force people to act against your will?
- Hypnosis cannot force people to act beyond what they would consciously do
- Legitimate authority giving commands will have the same effect
Can hypnosis enhance recall of forgotten events?
- Hypnosis does not enable people to recover accurate memories as far back as birth
- "Hypnotically refreshed" memories combine fact with fiction, which is why many countries have banned testimonies from hypnotized witnesses
Can hypnosis be therapeutic?
- Hypnosis can be therapeutic when combined with other forms of therapy
- those with drug, alcohol, and smoking addictions have not responded well
Can hypnosis alleviate pain?
- Can relieve pain
- Even light hypnosis can reduce fear, thus reducing hypersensitivity to pain
a suggestion made during a hypnosis session, to be carried out after the subject is no longer hypnotized
the ability to focus attention totally on a task, to become imaginatively absorbed into it
Two Ways of Viewing Hypnosis
- Divided Consciousness
- Social Phenomenon
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview