BBG chapter 4
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does a semicolon signify in the Greek Text?
What are the 4 Greek Punctuation Marks?
- Semicolon (signified by a .
- Question mark signified by ;
- two dots placed above a a letter.
- used to show that the second vowel in a makes a distinct sound and is therefore not a diphthong.
when is an Apostrphe used?
when a preposition ends with a vowel and the next word begins with a vowel, the final vowel of the first word drops out. This is called "elision". it is marked by and apostrophe. Similar to an english contraction.
what is an elision?
when a prepostion ends with a vowel and the next word begins with a vowel.
When are Accents used?
in almost every Greek word. it is placed over a vowel and shows which syllable receives the accent.
What types of accents are there?
- Acute - shows that the pitch originally went up
- Grave - pitch originally went down
- Circumflex - pitch rose then dropped a little.
what areas do accents help?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview