Classes of Medications
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Analgesics and NSAIDs
- Anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, analgesic
- Non-selectively inhibit COX-1 and COX-2.
- COX-1- kidneys, GIT and platelets, hence side effects
- COX-2 - brain, renal glomeruli, vasculature (pain, imflammation and fever)
- Low to moderate pain
Disease-Modifying Antirheumatic Drugs (DMARDs)
- Rheumatic disorders affect the musculoskeletal system and joints
- onset - weeks to months
Anorectics and Weight Loss Agents
- Suppress sensation of hunger via action on the hypothalamus
- has affect on dopaminergic and noradrenergic nervous system.
- Alkaline neutralises gastric acidity and reduces pepsin activity, raises pH, emptying increases.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview