Geog 182A: Lec 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
-indigenous language in paraguay
-explorers of Brazil in search of slaves and rucges
-spanish missionary town set up to facilitate colonization
- -widespread in the Spanish colony of Paraguay
- -plant used for herbal remedies, etc
- -large establishment for raising cattle
Treaty of Madrid (1750)
- -Spain and Portugal agreed to establish boundaries between colonies
- -Much of land in Brazil that was Spanish, would become Portuguese
- -system in 1503
- -control and regulate Indian labor
- -colonists were granted land with Indians
- -were expelled from Portuguese territory in 1759
- -huge scale land owners, elite, intellectual, have printing press
- -slave owners
- -exempt from taxes
- -by 1730s largest group of population in South America
What were ranches producing for money?
Guarani:Between Men and women who did the crops?
-Women did crops, while Men were hunting and gathering crops
Juan Manuel De Rosas
-military and political leader of argentina
A right to enjoyment of property with a given stipulation that the property will be improved or maintained in an agreed upon manner
- -when families own more than one ranch
- -control vast territories and vast real estates
-1610 is established capital of the spanish colony
-central province of argentina
- -nomadic horseman
- -drew British forces out of the Lapampa
Why is labor demand going down on the ranches?
- -Barbed wire fencing
- - Many types of barbed wire fencing manufactured out of new England and England.
- -largest plain in argentina
- -tremendous wealth shown off wutg kuxurious grand houses
- -ranches were all open range
- -tire out 4-5 horses in one day
- -do all work on horseback (raise cattle and livestock management)
- -had to get off horse when raising sheep
Dried Salt meat
- -people were eating jerk beef in plantations, while everyone else ate fresh meat
- -put salt on beef and throw it in the sun, but cover it for rain or it could turn green
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview