The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the ages of MIDDLE CHILDHOOD?
- About 6-11
- The period after early childhood and before adolescence.
Middle Childhood is the healthiest period of the entire life span.
By middle childhood, children from the poorest nations are several inches shorter than those from richer ones.
The benefits of PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.
- Better overall health
- Less obesity
- Appreciation of cooperation & fair play
- Improved problem-solving abilities
- Respect for teammates & opponents of many children ethnicities & nationalities
HAZARDOUS reasons of Physical Activity.
- Loss of self-esteem
- Reinforcement of prejudices
- Increased stress
The penalty for not playing by the rules is not playing; as a result SOCIAL EXCLUSION
Being "part of something important" raises a problem:
- Many children are left out.
- Not all parents can pay for after-school sports
- or can afford the time to transport children to practices & games.
BMI (body mass index)
A person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters.
Having a BMI above the 85th percentile in a child.
Having a BMI above the 95th percentile.
Overweight children more often have asthma, high blood pressure, & elevated cholesterol.
OBESITY is most common in:
- Infants who are not breast-fed.
- Preschoolers who watch TV & drink soda.
- School-age children who are driven to school & rarely play outside.
the ability of the child to nag the parent.
What factors cause overweight in Children?
- 1. Genes
- 2. Parents
- 3. Policies
A chronic inflammatory disorder of the airways that makes breathing difficult.
In the US, asthma rates among every age group of children have tripled since 1980