The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How many bits in MAC address?
How bits in IPv4 IP address? In IPv6 IP ?
How does a client app identify a server app on another computer on the network?
- The app installed on a computer listens @ a predetermined address that uniquely i.ds app on the computer; this address # called the port #, port / port address.
- or is it subnet mask?
What are IP addresses called that begin with 10,172.161 or 192.168?
Private IP addresses
In what class is the IP address 188.8.131.52 ?
In what class is the IP address 184.108.40.206?
Describe the difference between public and private IP addresses. If a network is using private IP addresses, how can the computers on that network access the internet?
Public IP addresses are available for use on the Internet. private IP addresses are not allowed on the Internet. private IP addresses can still access the internet if a writer or other device that stands between the network and Internet is using NAT ( Network Address Translation).
Why is it unlikely that you will find the IP address 192.168.250.10 on the internet?
This is a private IP address not available on the network.
If no DHCP server is available when a computer configured for dynamic IP addressing connects to the network, what type of IP address is assigned to the computer?
Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA)
If a computer is found that have an IP address of 169.254.1.1, what can you assume about how it received that IP address?
It was unable to lease an IP address from the DHCP server
What are the last 64 bits of a IPv6 IP address called? How are these bits used?
- interface ID or interface identifier
- They uniquely identify an interface on the local link
Name at least three tunneling protocols that are used for IPv6 packets to travel over an IPv4 network.
How is an IPv6 address used that begins with 2000::? That begins with FE80::?
- 2000:: global address can be routed
- on the internet, these addresses are similar to IPv4 public IP addresses
- FE80:: use for communicating with nodes in the same link
How many bits are in the Subnet ID block? What are the values of those bits for a link- local IP address?
16 bits-those 16 bits are all zeros in link-local
Which type of IPv6 address is used to create multiple sites within a large organization?
ULA Unique Local Address
What type of server serves up IP addresses to computers on a network?
DNS Domain Name System or Domain Name Service
Which TCP/IP protocol that manages packet delivery guarantees that delivery? Which protocol does not guarantee delivery, but is faster?
- TCP Transmission Control Protocol
- UDP User Datagram Protocol
At what port does an SMTP email server listen to receive email from a client computer?
Which protocol does a web server use when transmissions are encrypted for security?
HTTPS (HTTP secure)
What type of server resolves fully qualified domain names to IP addresses?
Which email protocol allows a client app to manage email stored on an email server?
What type of protocol is used to present a public IP address to computers outside the LAN to handle requests to use the Internet from computers inside the LAN?
What type of encryption protocol does Secure FTP (SFTP) use to secure FTP transmissions?
A variation of the SSH (Secure Shell Protocol)
What two Windows apps use the RDP protocol and port 3389?
Remote Desktop Server Application & Skype
Which version of 802.11 technologies can use two antennas at both the access point and the network adapter?
Which wireless encryption standard is stronger, WEP or WPA?
When securing a Wi-Fi wireless network, which is considered better security: to filter MAC addresses, use encryption, or not broadcast the SSID?
List five typical configuration changes for a SOHO router, and identify which of the five changes should always be done.
- Always Change the router password,
- changethe SSID and configure the DHCP server,
- View assignments made by ISP
- Assign static IP addresses
- Config firewall to disable all ports
- Improve QOS for an app
What does the "ipconfig" command do?
Displays your TCP/IP configuration for all network connections
Describe the four steps to connect a computer to a network using a wired Ethernet connection:
- Install network adaptor
- Connect network cable to Ethernet port (RJ-45) ,to network wall jack / directly to a switch/router
- Find out if connection is working: go into my network places verify you can access the resources,
- Verify if you have internet connectivity, open Internet Explorer & browse website.
List four troubleshooting steps from pages 724-725 for checking network settings:
- 1. Verify Device Manager recognizes the network adapter without errors.
- -if error found, update network adapter drivers & if that doesn’t work, uninstall adapter drivers & reinstall the drivers
- 2. Open Network and Sharing Center to see reported problem
- 3. If a red x found, it indicates a problem. Click x to get help and resolve the problem
- Windows Network Diagnostics opens to look for problems, applying solutions, and makes suggestions
- 4. After problem resolved, try again to use Windows Explorer to access resources on local network and then use Internet Explorer to access the internet.
List 6 functions of typical SOHO routers.
Function 1 as a router, it stands between ISP network and local network, routing traffic between the two networks.
Function 2. As a switch, it manages several network ports that can be connected to wired computers or to switch that provides more ports for more computers.
Function 3. As a DHCP server, all computers can receive their IP address from this server.
Function 4. As a wireless access point, a wireless computer can connect to the network. This wireless connection can be secured using wireless security features.
- Function 5. As a firewall, it blocks unwanted traffic initiated from the Internet & provides Network Address Translation (NAT) so that computers on the LAN can use private or link local IP addresses.
- Function 6. As an FTP server, you connect an external hard drive to the router, and the FTP firmware on the router can be used to share files with network users.