Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How large are teh Bordeaux vineyards?
In 2011: 110,200 ha
Compare the size of Bordeaux vineyards with other areas
- * 5 X Burgundy
- * Same as Chile plus South Africa
How many bottles are produced of first growths?
- Chateaux Latour: 220K
- Chateaux Lafite Rothschild: 230K
- Chateaux Mouton Routhschild: 300K
Who participates in the Bordeaux marketplace ("la Place de Bordeaux")?
- Producers: 7,000 Chateaux (10K producers)
- Brokers: 130 "Courtiers" (paid 2% commission ("courtage") by the negociants)
- Buyers: 400 Negociants (but 90% of business is accounted for by 25 firms)
- Co-Ops: 53 vinification and packaging facilities
When do the Chateaux send half bottles to the brokers and negociants for tasting?
Last week in March
Who is the biggest name in Bordeaux futures ("En Primeur") and when to they hold tastings?
- Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux (UGC)
- Entire month of April
What is the Quai des Chartons?
District of Bordeaux which used to house negociants; now a residential area.
Describe how Bordeaux wine gets from the producer to the consumer in the U.S.
- Chateaux (sets prices by tranche)
- Broker (2% paid by buyer)
- Negociant (markup ~15%; can buy from other negociants -- "Sur Place" sale)
- Importer (markup ~15%)
Is Bordeaux wine a transparent market?
Yes. Every Tuesday, CIVB publishes quantities and prices
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview