CSET History: US History
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Marbury vs Madison
Marbury was a judge appointed by Adams just before he left office and although adams had appointed him, his letter of commission had not been deliveredJames Madison refused to deliever his letter
The Monroe Doctrine
Created by president Monroe in 1823stated that European powers should cease to consider the American continent as a place for possible colonizationstated the US had no intent to intervene in European affairs
The California Gold Rush
1848 gold was discovered in CAcreated jobs and led to rapid growthby 1856 San Fransisco has a population of 50,000 people
Created by Stephen Douglasdivided the area into two territories which stated that territorial legislatures would decide the issue of slavery and repealed the Missouri CompromiseDivided the democratic and Whig parties and the Republican party was established
a network of contacts that assisted and hid slaves who were fleeing to the North
Harriet Beecher Stowe
wrote Uncle Toms Cabinbased on observations of slave-holding communities in Kentuckyportrayed the brutality and oppresive nature of slavery in a way that made it more real and objectionable to white people
Fugitive Slave Act
enabled Southerners to travel freely within the North and seize individuals they claimed were fugitives including some free African Americans and a number of escaped slaves who had been living in the North for several months, even years!
allowed the individuals living within a territory to decide for themselves whether or not they would allow slavery
Compromise of 1850
result of complex negotiations as well as various deals and efforts by individuals such as Henry Clay and Stephen Douglas.Admitted CA to the union as a free stateformed territorial govt's in the rest of the area acquired from Mexico without restricting slavery
- - passed in an attempt to avoid a recurrence of the tie vote during the 1800 election
- - ratified in 1804 and stated that electors would cast one vote for the presidential candidate and one vote for the vice presidential candidate.
The Great ice age
- - Lasted over 2 million years
- - Alaska was connected to siberia and groups migrated along this path hunting large game animals
- - After the ice melted, america became isolated and some animals died off.
- - period when humans shifted away from a reliance strictly on hunting and towards a more diverse lifestyle
- - developed additional types of tools out of wood
- - introduction of farming techniques and crops, led to the emergence of 2000 cultures
- - Farmers of the lower Mississippi delta
- - Ruler was the Great Sun who lived on a ceremonial mound
- - Nobles were advisers to the Great Sun and were appointed to serve as peace chiefs to the village
- - Stinkards were subordinate to the ruler
- - Practiced public torture and human sacrifice.
- outlawed warfare among member nations but encouraged violence against neighboring groups that were outside the confederation.
- - AKA the navigator
- - sponsored voyages aimed at adding territory and gaining control of trading routes in order to increase the power and wealth of Portugal.
- - wanted to spread Christianity and prevent further expansion of Islam in Africa.
- - Sent ships along the coast of Africa because he believed it was possible to sail east through the Atlantic and reach the Indian Ocean
- Allowed sailors to calculate their latitude south on the equator
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview