CH&E - Midterm1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
List 6 public health achievments
- -acting on the social determinants of health
- -control of infectious disease (santitation, vaccination, etc)
- -family planning
- -motor vehicle safety
- -safer and healthier foods
- -tobacco restrictions
What are the 6 dimensions of health care quality?
List 5 barriers to equity in health care
- -geographic access
- -availability (e.g. clinic hours)
- -complexity of access (e.g. multiple services)
List 5 solutions that can improve equity in health services
- -geographically accessable settings
- -multi-disciplinary teams
- -Social support and more families in programming
- -health literacy and language diversity
- -Long-term sustainable programming in communities
List some direct costs associated with health care
List some indirect costs associated with health care
- -missed work
- -child care
Describe what disability life adjusted years (DALY's) are.
- number of years of HEALTHY life lost due to disability, illness, or early death
- -each illness and diability is given a weight from 0 to 1
- -apply weights to years lived with disability and add the years of life lost
List the 4 types of economic evaluation. Are the costs considered? Are the outcomes considered (if so, how?)?
What type of health care system does canada have with regards to payment and delivery of health care
Payment: public mostly with a little bit of private (insurance and out of pocket)
Delivery: private (e.g. fee for service)
How would you describe the organization of most hospitals?
private, not-for-profit organizations
List the five principles of the Canada Health Act
- Remember the "CUPPA" mnemonic with the giant cup of coffee
- 1) Comprehensiveness
- 2) Universality
- 3) Portability
- 4) Public Administration
- 5) Accessibility
List 4 causes of escalating health care costs
- -Rising medication costs
- -Increasing frequency of surgical procedures
- -Inappropriate use of diagnostics
- -Inappropriate use of emergency departments
List and describe three commonly measured variables in health data.
- 1) Demographics: population size, age, migration, etc
- 2) Health Status: mortality/morbidity, self-rated health, life expectancy
- 3) Health care utilization: Data sources include disease registries, hospital data, EMR's, surveys.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview