Title: Concert for Violin & String Orchestra (La Primavera, Spring - from The Four Seasons)
Composer: Antonio Vivaldi
CD & Track: CD 2; Tks. 12-16
- The 1st movement is in ritornello form, and opens with an energetic orchestral ritornello in a major key, which announces the arrival of spring.
- After the ritornello, the movement alternates between extended solo sections for the violin containing musical tone painting and brief tutti sections.
- In the 1st solo section, bird's songs are imitated by high trills and repeated notes played by the solo violin and the violins from the orchestra.
- In the 2nd solo section, murmuring streams are suggested by running notes in the violins.
- In the next solo section, string tremolos and rapid scales represent thunder and lightning.
- Following the storm, the ritornello appears in minor instead of major.