Describe the mechanism involved in the regulation of bioluminescence in Vibrio
- Uses AHL (N-acylhomoserine) as signal.
- Made by AHL synthase, the product of luxI gene.
- luxI is subjective to autoregulation-transcription of luxI increases as AHL accumulates.
- Transcriptional factor luxR is only active when bound to AHL.
- No activated luXR by AHL means luxI is at a basal level.
- AHL diffuses easily out into the environment.
- AHL eventually is higher outside than inside and flows back into the cell.
- AHL binds to luxR and activates high transcription of luxI and other bioluminescent genes.