Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is a rainforest?
- Are closed forests that allow only a small% of light with over 70% coverage.
- They are found in the east coast of oz and end of NT
What is the importance of conserving them?
- It is key to conserve rainforests as they have many endemic species and huge bio diversity ( in NE queensland ) and Gondwanan remnant species.
- -50% of all ferns in OZ occur in the rain forests
- .Many primitive species occur in rain forests. Austrobaileaya: pollen similar to
- primitive pollen , no other close relatives.
- Black bean tree : used in many
- cures ie AIDS .
- Musky rat kangaroo: Evolutionary value, very simple rounded
- teeth and features
Compare Tropical and Temperate Forests
- Tropical : -more species rich `, structurally complex (4 layers)
- More nutrient rich+ rapid nutrient cycling , no single species dominant
- Mesophyll leaves : trees with leaves larger than 12.5 cm
- Temperate :
- -fewer species , fewer vines , fewer layers ,microphyll leaves
- NSW –East Vic warm temperate , VIC –SA cool temperate
Describe 3 adaptations of rain forest plant
- Leaves: large and glossy to maximise light absorption .
- they have hathodes .Cool damp
- environment have no pressure to transpire therefore hathodes use root pressure
- to transport water and release it via pores process known as guttation
- .Buttress roots: provide extra support allowing plants to grow higher up to reach light .
- Cauliflory : growing things on trunks so that birds can easily access them
Describe 3 relationships that occur in rain forest
- Commensalism : epiphytes are trees that grow on other trees. they do this to obtain light . they use water and nutrients obtained from runoff.e.g orchids , ferns , xerophytes. Some stag horn ferns have two types of
- leaves one for collecting run off other to photosynthesis.
- Mutualism :mermecodia , ants , domatia .Parasitism : strangling figs – starts life in theupper canopy , flesh fruits are eaten by birds that spread seeds , it stats t o
- grow on trees .Plants sends down roots that obtain water, eventually kills host
- .Raflisia root parasites
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview