The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What were horses used for in the past?
- some riding
What do third world countries mainly use horses for?
Why did the horse population increase during the 1900s?
- because of westward movement
- horses used to pull trains in cities
When did the horse population peak?
When did the horse population experience a dramatic drop?
Why did the horse population drop dramatically?
combustible engines replace the need for horses
When was the horse population the lowest?
Why did the horse population go back up?
people began using horses for entertainment and recreation
What are horses used for today?
- therapy (health services)
How many horses are currently in the US?
What state has the largest population of horses?
What are the top 5 states for horse populations?
What state has the least amount of horses?
What are the 3 most common horse breeds in the US?
- Quarter Horses
What do horses in the US used for?
- 1. recreation (personal use)
- 2. showing (rodeo, eventing, competition)
- 3. other (commercial, guest ranches)
- 4. racing
What is the dominant age of horses in the US?
5-20 years old
What age group predominately owns horses?
- 45-59 year olds (middle aged)
- mostly females
What are some challenges the industry faces?
- 1. welfare (how the public sees it)
- 2. veterinary challenges (care & advancements)
- 3. youth involvement (keep them involved)
- 4. education (youth and public)
What is one of the biggest issues we face?
horse slaughter issue
Why are horses sent to slaughter?
- dispose of old/lame animals
- send to Europe
- humane way to put horses down
Where were the horse slaughter houses located in the US?
Where are horses currently sent to slaughter?
Mexico or Canada
Why is the amendment to the horse slaughter prevention act difficult?
could make it hard to transport horses to the vet or shows
What are some solutions to the increasing population of unwanted horses?
- new homes
- equine rescue, rehabilitation or retirement facilities