Fermentation & distillation
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does ABV stand for?
Amount of alcohol in a volume (%)
How much is 1 unit?
- 1 unit = 8g or 10ml of pure alcohol
- Recommended limit are
- 2-3 units a day for women
- 3-4 units for men
How do you calculate the amount of units?
Unit = volume (ml) x ABV/1000
- ex a 250ml glass of 14% vine:
- 250 x 14 / 1000 = 3,5 units
At what part of the world did distillation of liquid first take place?
At the Arabic part of the world, in the beginning of the 8th century. It was brought to Europe by the Moors at the beginning of the 12th century.
- A process converting sugar to alcohol.
- In order to make alcohol you need
- The heart works best in a temperature of 15-35 degrees celsius.
- -Makes a mixture of ethyl alcohol and water.
- Separates the alcohol from the water.
- It also alters the flavors
- The higher temperature you use the cleaner a product you get.
- It heats up the mash to 78,3 degrees Celsius (boiling point of alcohol) so that only the alcohol rises and not the water.
explain Pot distillation
- The mash is poured the large copper kettles and heated and makes a fluid wit a ABV at approximately 23%. The fluid can be re-distilled as much as four times.
- It is chosen when you want to preserve the aromas (taste) of the mash.
explain Column distillation
- The mash is distilled multiple times during the same process and are therefor more time saving.
- The bottom of the kettle reaches 100-110 degrees c but it reaches only 80 degrees c at the top so that the water stay down.
- After distillation the fluid reaches a ABV of 80-96%. This process remove aromas and taste and leaves a clearer product.
Brought the idea about distillation to Europe at the 12th century when it was used for medical purposes.
Who is Aeneas Coffey?
He patented a distillation apparatus consisting of two columns, to increase the percentage of alcohol. (column distiller)
What is the name given to the fermented liquid?
Who were the first to refine spirit by introducing a second distillation?
Different kinds of pot distillations?
- Alambic pot still
- English pot still
What material is a pot still made out of?
Spirits that ere pot distilled?
- Dark rum
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview