Rest and Sleep Nurs210
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the stages, in order, of a complete sleep cycle?
- Then start at 2 again: 2-3-4-3-2-REM
How long is it before a REM stage in a sleep cycle?
Typically about 90 minutes
how long does stage 1 sleep last?
just few minutes
how long does stage 2 sleep last?
how long does stage 3 sleep last?
how long does stage 4 sleep last?
what stage sleep do people with sleep loss spend the most time in?
what are the three types of sleep disorders?
- circadian rhythm disorders
What is a primary nursing consideration with sleep disorders?
What is bruxism?
violent, repetitive grinding of the teeth
what is the most common sleep diagnostic test?
multiple sleep latency test
- direct objective measurement of sleepiness used to evaluate somnolence and daytime sleepiness
- pt given 4-5 20 minute nap opportunities at 2 hr intervals
- if sleep occurs within 7 minutes for 3 or more tests, abnormal level of sleepiness is indicated
what preparations are required before a multiple sleep latency test?
- stop all sleep affecting drugs for 2 weeks
- no smoking 30 min before
- no alcohol or caffeine day before
what is the primary intervention for all sleep disorders?
to eliminate the underlying cause
what is the problem with most pharmacological solutions that produce sleep?
they often suppress REM sleep
At what stage are a patient's VS significantly lower than normal?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview