The flashcards below were created by user
What are the 8 Noun Rules?
1. Stems ending in alpha or eta = 1st declension. omicron = 2nd declension. Consonant = 3rd declension
2. Every neuter word has the same form in Nom and Acc
3. Almost all neuter words end in Alpha in Nom and Acc.
4. iota always subscripts if possible in Dative Singular
5. Vowels often change length (ablaut)
6. Gen and Dat masculine and neut are always identical
7. Square of Stops (will be learned in a later lesson)
8. Tau cannot stand at the end of a word and will drop off.
What is the Indirect Object?
the person or thing tha is "indirectly" affected by the action of the verb.
"Karin threw Brad the ball"
Karin = subject
Threw = verb
Brad = indirect object
Ball = direct object
What is the genitive case?
used to show possession.
GP - omega nu
it usually follows the word it modifies which is called the "head noun".
What is the Dative Case?
Wide range of usage - carries the idea of "to" "in" and "with". under the idea of "to" come the "indirect object".
What is the Key Word of the Genitive Case?
Key Word of the Dative Case?
What is the Dative Singular Case ending?
iota ... in the singular , the final stem vowel lengthens and the iota subscripts.
Nom Sg Endings
Neut - v
Gen Sing Endings
F - s
Dative Singular endings
Accusative Singular Endings
Nominative Plural Endings
Genitive Plural Endings
Dative Plural Endings
Accusative Plural Endings
Genitive and Dative: 1st and 2nd Declension nouns