Place patient in the supine position; provide a pillow for patient’s head; leg should be fully extended.
• Adjust pelvis, knee, and leg into true AP with no rotation.
• Place sandbag against foot if needed for stabilization, and dor-siflex foot to 90° to leg if possible.
• Ensure that both ankle and knee joints are 1 to 2 inches (3 to5 cm) from ends of IR (so that divergent rays do not projecteither joint off IR).
• If limb is too long, place the leg diagonally (corner to corner)on one 35 × 43 cm (14 × 17 inches) IR to ensure that both joints are included. (Also, if needed, a second smaller IR may be taken of the joint nearest the injury site.)
CR Centered to
perpendicular to IR, directed to midpoint of leg
Collimate on both sides to skin malleolusmargins, with full collimation at ends of IR borders to include maximum knee and ankle joints.
• Entire tibia and fibula must include ankle and knee joints on this projection