The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the two basic categories of techniques to treat mental disorders?
psychological & biological
client centered therapy (2)
- encourages people to fulfill their individual potentials for personal growth through greater understanding
- therapists use reflective listening
- use of role playing and modeling
- token economies
- often used to address phobias
- ex. systematic desensitization, flooding
advantages of group therapy (3)
- less expensive
- provides opportunity to improve social skills gives chance to learn from one another
What is most effective to treat anxiety disorders?
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to break the conditioned response between trigger symptom & panic
- Clomipramine (SSRI) to treat OCD
What is the treatment of choice for specific phobias?
- behavioral techniques, specifically systematic desensitization & virtual environments
- some cognitive strategies can be useful
What is the most effective treatment for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
cognitive behavioral therapy combined with an Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
What are two potential treatments for depression?
- 1. SSRIs are often prescribed in addition to cognitive behavioral therapy
- 2. electroconvulsive therapy (ECT): administer electric current to patients' brain to produce seizure
What is the best treatment for bipolar disorder?
- One clear optimal treatment: lithium combined with anti-depressant
- patient compliance with drug therapy is often a problem
Side effects of lithium
thirst, hand tremors, excessive urination, memory problems
What is effective in treating schizophrenia?
- The tranquilzers chlorpromazine and haloperidol
- CBT for reducing delusions and hallucinations
- Social skills training
What makes treating personality disorders most problematic?
patients see the environment rather than their own behavior as source of problem
The prognosis of schizophrenia
- best is diagnosed early and treated aggressively
- most patients improve over time
- prognosis depends on age of onset, gender, culture
transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
- produces electric current to interrupt neural function in the region directly below the coil
- could treat depression
deep brain stimulation
- surgically implanting electrodes deep within the brian
- successful in treating parkinson's
- could help to treat depression and OCD