Every identified hate crime or incident should be recorded on force crime systems and allocated a unique reference number.
What is the minimum information required?
• Personal details for each victim including full name and address, date of birth, gender, religion (if any), ethnic group, sexual orientation (this information is, of course, voluntary).
• Status (if applicable), occupation, school (if applicable).
• Language spoken, whether a repeat victim and whether previous incident was reported.
• Details of the type of incident. The crime or details of the behaviour that led to the report should be recorded.
• Description of the location including home, place of worship or education, street, leisure facility, workplace, licensed premises, public transport, internet or other as appropriate.
• Geographic position, e.g. house number, street name, postcode or map reference.
• Description of incident to include whether the incident is part of a series, if an extremist organisation is involved and who identified the incident as a hate crime.