The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
no illegal search and seizure (blanket search warrants)
any evidence seized as the result of and illegal search, can be excluded, or left out at trial. (mapp vs. ohio)
- 1. good faith
- 2.honest mistake
- 3.inevitable discovery
- criminal proceedings, due process, eminent domain. No double jeopardy- a person cannot be tried for the same crime twice.
- 2. no self incrimination "pleading the 5th"
- deny! deny! deny!
the government cans seize private property for public use, if the public need outweighs the privates need.
criminal proceedings. defendant has the right to: a speedy and public trial (100 days)
Miranda vs. Arizona
-suspects have the right to be informed of their constitutional rights.
Escobedo vs. illnois
-suspects have the right to speak to their attorney before questioning
Gideon vs. wain wright
Defendants have the right to an attorney, even if they can't afford one.
jury trials are guaranteed in civil cases involving more than 20.00
no cruel and unusual punishment no excessive bail or fines
- reserved powers of the states.
- -powers not specifically granted to the federal government are reserved by the states
- presidential and vice presidential elections
- -election of 1800 caused problems
- abolishment of slavery and involuntary servitude.
- -military draft
- -jury duty
- -prison work gangs
- due process clause of the 5th amendment applies to states
- -equal protection clause all citizens are guaranteed equal protection of the law
the right to vote cannot be denied on the basis of race, color or previous condition of servitude.
- federal income tax
- -largest source of revenue for the federal govt.
direct election of us senators
prohibition of intoxicating liquor(women got beat)
women's suffrage- right to vote
presidential terms begin on Jan. 20 of odd numbered years
president terms- present can serve two terms
- presidential elections for D.C
- -got the same as the least populous state (3)
- presidential succession and disability
- -speaker of the house
- -president pro-tempore of the senate
- -cabinet secretaries
- 18 years old vote
- -Vietnam war led to its passage
congressional pay raises do not take effect until after the next house election