General American History
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What was Whig Party?
- The Whig Party was a political party active in the early 19th century in the United
- States. Four Presidents of the United States were members of the Whig Party.
- Considered integral to the Second Party System and operating from the early
- 1830s to the mid-1850s, the party was formed in opposition to the policies
- of President Andrew Jackson and his Democratic Party. In particular, the Whigs
- supported the supremacy of Congress over the Presidency and favored a program
- of modernization and economic protectionism. This name was chosen to
- echo the American Whigs of 1776, who fought for independence, and because
- "Whig" was then a widely recognized label of choice for people who
- identified as opposing tyranny. The Whig Party counted among its members such
- national political luminaries as Daniel Webster, William Henry Harrison, and
- their preeminent leader, Henry Clay of Kentucky. In addition to Harrison, the
- Whig Party also nominated war hero generals Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott.
What was Compromise of 1850?
When was Texas annexation?
What was Northwest Ordinance?
What was Missouri Compromise?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview