General American History
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What was Whig Party?
- The Whig Party was a political party active in the early 19th century in the United
- States. Four Presidents of the United States were members of the Whig Party.
- Considered integral to the Second Party System and operating from the early
- 1830s to the mid-1850s, the party was formed in opposition to the policies
- of President Andrew Jackson and his Democratic Party. In particular, the Whigs
- supported the supremacy of Congress over the Presidency and favored a program
- of modernization and economic protectionism. This name was chosen to
- echo the American Whigs of 1776, who fought for independence, and because
- "Whig" was then a widely recognized label of choice for people who
- identified as opposing tyranny. The Whig Party counted among its members such
- national political luminaries as Daniel Webster, William Henry Harrison, and
- their preeminent leader, Henry Clay of Kentucky. In addition to Harrison, the
- Whig Party also nominated war hero generals Zachary Taylor and Winfield Scott.
What was Compromise of 1850?
When was Texas annexation?
What was Northwest Ordinance?
What was Missouri Compromise?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview