- an increase in rank or wealth; growth in power. Shortie’s
- murder of the rival gang leader resulted in an aggrandizement of
- his status among his homies.
- hard to do; strenuous. We ended our basic training with an arduous
- forced march through the snake infested swamps.
- high sounding; marked by the use of language without
- much real meaning. The listeners were
- too shrewd to be fooled by the political commentator’s bombastic speech.
- to do with the heavens; divine. The new
- astronauts will be the celestial pioneers of the twenty-first century
- disorder, especially in dress; sloppily dressed;
- disrobed. Hastily evacuated from the
- burning hotel, the shivering guests stood in the cold morning air in various
- states of dishabille.
- to weaken, to lessen the strength of. After a week of strenuous dieting, Sharon was
- too enervated to move from the couch.
- science of genetic control. The botanist
- crossbred two varieties of corn in an attempt to apply eugenics to the
- world food crisis
- a physician or surgeon who specializes in treating
- women. Although most physicians can
- examine a patient for cervical cancer, a gynecologist has specialized
- training in the discovery and treatment of this disease.
- great destruction, especially by fire. The holocaust in Malibu, California,
- burned many expensive homes, but fortunately took no lives.
- the imperturbably student realized that her graduation was only hours
- away, she finally showed some emotion
- stormy. No one expected inclement weather, so
- everyone was disappointed when the Senior Picnic was canceled because of the
- doubt, skeptical; disbelieving. The
- audience fixed an incredulous stare on the magician as he levitated his
- youthful assistant
- meddling; giving unnecessary or unwanted advice or
- services. Although Mr. Klar was a
- well-meaning neighbor, his officious manner made his friends avoid
- discussing problems with him.
- refusing to obey rules or follow orders;
- unmanageably resistant. The mule is
- perhaps the most recalcitrant domesticated animal.
- with the nap worn down so that the threads show;
- frayed or shabby; used so often that it is stale. The salesman’s string of threadbare
- jokes cost him the sale since his customers fled from the showroom.