Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
I Olfactory Nerve
- Function: special sensory for Smell
- Damage: lost of smell (anosmia)
II Optic Nerve
- Function: special sensory for vision
- Damage: loss of vision (anopsia)
III Oculomotor Nerve
- Function: Motor- somatic motor (movement of eye) and visceral motor (autonomic) to ciliary ganglion (intrinsic muscles of sphincter pupillie and ciliary)
- Damage: paralysis of moving the eye
IV Trochlear Nerve
- Function: Motor – superior oblique muscle
- Damage: extortion of the eye
V Trigeminal Nerve
- Largest C.N.
- Function – Mixed- 3 branches - Opthalmic (sensory), Maxillary (sensory), Mandibular (sensory & motor)
VI Abducens Nerve
- Function: Motor – lateral rectus
- Damage: internal stratism(eyes look inward)
VII Facial Nerve
- Functions: Mixed
- Motor Somatic motor – muscles of facial expression
- Visceral motor - tear, nasal and palatine glands, and salivary glands
- Sensory - taste on anterior 2/3’s of tongue
VIII Vestibulocochlear Nerve
- Functions: special sensory- vestibular branch for balance; cochlear branch for hearing
- Damage: loss of balance and hearing.
IX Glossopharyngeal Nerve
Functions: Mixed – motor (Swallowing, salivation); sensory (from posterior 1/3 of tongue, pharynx and palate, carotid arteries)
X Vagus Nerve
- Functions – Mixed, widely distributed in thorax and abdomen *swallowing, speech, regulation of viscera
- Longest C.N.
XI Accessory Nerve
Function: Motor - Swallowing, head, neck and shoulder movement
XII Hypoglossal Nerve
- Function: Motor - Tongue movements for speech, food manipulation and swallowing
- Damage: paralysis of tongue (apsilateral side, deviates).